20 September 2006

The time has come, the walrus said. . .

. . . to buy a winter coat. And a hat, a scarf, a pair of gloves, and some boots.

This morning, on my five-minute bike ride to the bus stop, with the wind blowing off the sea and into my face, I realized it was time. The sea, for those of you who don’t have your atlases handy, is the Gulf of Bothnia, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Baltic. This corner of the world, when the Swedes were in charge, was known as Northern Ostrobothnia.

I didn’t bring any winter clothes with me because they would have taken up so much room. I will, of course, get my new duds at Stockmann, the Center of the Ouluniverse. I’ll figure out how to schlep them home later.

As a bonus today, here’s a little something our Survival Finnish teacher taught us. She was trying to show us that Finnish words are long because of the way suffixes pile up.

Kirja = book
Kirjasto = library
Kirjastoi = libraries
Kirjastoissa = in libraries
Kirjastoissamme = in our libraries
Kirjastoissammekin = also in our libraries

Näkemiin!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

libraries: kirjastot ^^

6:45 PM  
Blogger Kenneth Kolson said...

Oh, darn. I'm going to have to fire my copy editor. But seriously, I thought my teacher said that i comes from the construction of the plural, or signifies plural. How does that work?

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think t does the plural in lingua fennica, for the most of it. i as the last letter oftentimes implies a loaned word that is adapted to finnish.

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's pretty complicated yeah. i wouldnt understand anything about finnish grammar if i tried to learn it as a foreign language, you just have to know it as there's so many different variations and expections to these "regular" variations and of course in some dialect surely u could also say "kirjastoi" as plular as in:
"siellä on paljo(n) kirjastoi" = "there is a lot of libraries"

main thing is that you get understood, obviously :)

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home